Monday, September 14, 2009

Out of Darkness Community Walk

We attended our 2nd suicide prevention and awareness walk on Sunday in Honor of our friend Chad. Chad died April 12, 2008. A day that changed all of us in ways that can't be explained. We all know that each of us has changed but so much is unsaid. We don't have to say it when we are together we just know it. Our friends mean so much to us, it can't even be described.

This year my cousin lost her best friend to suicide.

Until this last year and half I had no idea how often it occurred. Suicide is attempted every minute. Every 15 minutes one dies. A gaping hole is left in peoples lives.

I had facebooked that I was mad that I had to be at this event. And this is true but at the same time I am proud and hopeful that the money we raise can bring awareness to this plight. I came to this ah hah moment when I was talking to Julie before the walk. I had told her that I was mad that we were present. And I had mixed thoughts about the purpose of raising the money. I said, "No amount of money could have changed what happened so suddenly and abruptly". She reminded me that it's about awareness. Chad had shown us signs of depression and his wife was desperately trying to piece the puzzle together. Depression and Chad just didn't seem to fit.

Anyways, enough of my miscellaneous thoughts. I want to thank all of those who gave donations and know that I and all of our friends appreciate the help.



A small portion of our crew.






3 comments:

  1. Well done. Your participation in this event is important and meaningful. And for some inspiration and perspective, I invite you to check out this short video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/7491 -- about the "aha moment" of another Out of the Darkness walker who is dedicated to suicide prevention. I think you'll appreciate her story.

    All the best,
    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that it went well. Can't imagine how it feels to lose someone so close to you so abruptly and in such a way. I never thought about depression in that way...so it has definately raised my awareness!! Thank you for the bracelet too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is way after the fact, but I'm so proud of you for doing this - I can imagine how difficult it was. If I could have been, I would have been there with you. Maybe once I'm back in the States, I can get more involved in this walk. And like you, I'm learning more and more about how often suicide happens, but people don't talk about it -- it's painful, and it's put into our minds that it's shameful, so it's kept hush-hush, and tragically, so many end up learning about it through personal experience. Lots of love to you guys...

    ReplyDelete